Saturday, February 9, 2019

GREETINGS FROM 2019

Memories...You're talking about memories. 

In a recent article in the NY Post, the author discussed how Blade Runner (and Running Man) predicted the future prophetically well. I noticed one line: 

“It looked just like ‘Blade Runner,'” the author stated. “The sky was orange. I don’t want to live in that world.”


I thought that was very close to what I had said awhile back when I compared Blade Runner with the then newly released sequel. 


"I would never want to live in that world", I had said, if memory serves. 
(My post is here. )

Coincidence? Synchronicity? Text harvesting? Nowadays, with the ability to find something written online about anything, anywhere on the net within minutes, it wouldn't surprise me one bit that quotes and statements aren't being borrowed, copied, pasted, adjusted, etc. Of course what I said is a pretty common phrase, not out of the ordinary. But with the demand for more and more available written content online for the endless supply of news articles, posts, blogs, etc. and the growing cadre of seemingly less imaginative writers out there having to stuff all those places chock full of 'original' content, well, it makes me wonder, did I really say that originally? 

Of course not. We all say things we've heard before. That's what language is, a constant repetition of rearranged sounds we've heard before. It's fitting that the movie in question - or the words about it - is Blade Runner, where a rich and vivid past full of life can, upon closer examination, be nothing more than implants.


"Those aren't your memories, they're somebody else's. They're Tyrell's niece's."

I am also reminded of the criticism of early cable TV: "Five hundred channels and nothing on." But then again, sometimes 'T
oo much is never enough', to quote Billy Idol. And you can quote me on that.

Cheers from Blade Runner country 2019. 


The Cinemated Man

1 comment:

German George said...

love it, 6 stars for sure !
Well done.